Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Cowboy Soup – olive oil, lean ground beef, one onion, two cloves of garlic, celery with tops, 4 – 6 carrots, frozen corn, carton of beef broth, salt, black pepper, 2 cans diced tomatoes, potatoes, 4 ounces can mild green chilies, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and 2 cans cooked beans (red or pinto work well).
Basic Cowboy Soup
I have eaten various versions of this basic easy cowboy soup through the years and this is by far my favorite recipe. It makes an easy, filling, no-fuss dish for any family meal. It has a robust hearty flavor and is so easy to prepare even at the end of a busy day. This soup is very versatile, and you can add just about anything you want to it. Spice it up or spice it down.
Easy to Prepare
Let me show you how easy it is to prepare. Make sure you have a large stockpot or Dutch oven to cook in. Here’s what you’ll need to make cowboy soup – olive oil, lean ground beef, one onion, two cloves of garlic, celery with tops, 4 – 6 carrots, frozen corn, carton of beef broth, salt, black pepper, 2 cans diced tomatoes, potatoes, 4 ounces can mild green chilies, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and 2 cans cooked beans (red or pinto work well). My personal preference for the green chilies is Hatch mild diced green chilies.
I prefer crushed tortilla chips and chopped green onion for a really fast meal. However, it is great with cornbread or biscuits as well.
This cowboy soup recipe provides a hearty, satisfying meal. This easy soup is both affordable and provides the nutrition your family needs. The entire family will love this comfort food. A Texas cowboy soup has always been a staple dish in our household. This easy version makes a great impromptu lunch or dinner. You cannot go wrong with this delicious, tasty, and nutritious soup.
The secret to making a good soup is letting it cook low and slow in a dutch oven. You can increase your cook time if desired. Check your liquids to make sure it does not reduce down too much. If it does just compensate by adding water and allowing it to simmer a bit longer.
If you have saved some homemade soup stock in the freezer then you can substitute that for the beef broth. I always save mine when cooking meats for dishes that do not require broth. You can do this with any meat drippings, even ham.
Vegetable broth can also be saved by freezing it for up to 6 months in the freezer. Always be aware of the salt content of your recipe when substituting broths and bouillons. Bouillons generally have much more sodium. Ham broth also has more sodium than say chicken broth.
More Texas soups here.
Read about the theory of cooking here.
Easy Cowboy Soup
- 1 dutch oven
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 medium sliced carrots
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 cup diced potato
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 can 15 ounce each – diced tomatoes, undrained
- 32 oz carton beef broth
- ½ Cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 can 15 ounce each red or pinto beans, drained
- 1 can 4 oz. mild green chili pepper
- Chopped green onion with tops and grated cheese if desired
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, warm olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in the onion and celery; sauté for 3 minutes.
- Continue to cook until tender.
- Season with the salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up into small pieces with a wooden spoon about 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Add garlic and cook another minute or two.
- Add the potato, carrots, beef bouillon, green chilies, Worcestershire sauce, canned tomatoes and beef broth.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a medium – low simmer.
- Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Stir in drained beans, corn and warm through.
- Round up your family and friends; Chow time! Serve it while its good and hot.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with cornbread, crushed tortilla chips or biscuits!
- Top with the green onions and a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese if desired.
- Makes a great lunch or dinner.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as a courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
Please find out more about Texini, the leading Texas lifestyle brand defined by its celebration of the Lone Star State’s culture, heritage, and values.
Austin Texas barbecue barbeque bbq cities in texas cost of living in texas cost of living texas cost to live in texas famous in texas foods from Texas Foods in Texas google abandoned texas google texas county google texas news google texas roadhouse google texas weather leading texas lifestyle brand life in texas lifestyle brand living cost texas living in Texas living texas moving to texas San Antonio Texas Space X Tex-Mex Texas Texas barbecue Texas BBQ Texas Chili texas cost of living texas culture texas food Texas Hill Country Texas Life Texas Lifestyle Texas life style texas lifestyle brand Texas Lifestyle influencer texas live Texas living texas living cost Texini the leading Texas lifestyle brand texmex Tex Mex
Cowboy soup is a hearty one-pot meal made from ground beef, canned tomatoes, diced vegetables, and beans. This easy and flavorful soup is perfect for busy weeknights or chilly days!
Discover the top 10 Texas Rustic Christmas Ideas 2023! As the holiday season approaches, many of us are eager to transform our homes into festive havens. If you're looking for a warm and inviting...
Welcome to your ultimate guide to Texas Whitetail Season! Whether you are an experienced hunter or just starting out, this comprehensive guide has got you covered with all the tips, tricks, and...