What you will need to prepare World Famous Chicken Fried Steak.
Eggs, evaporated milk, cube steaks, flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cooking oil or lard, milk, and beef broth.
World Famous Chicken Fried Steak
Many famous chicken-fried steak recipes flourish on the internet but what is the real story? Chicken fried steak is thought to have originated from German and Austrian immigrants coming to Texas in the 19th century. In Texas chicken fried steak is battered and either deep-fried or fried in a large skillet. Many restaurants in Texas and elsewhere have boasted to have the best world-famous chicken fried steaks.
Short History of Threadgill’s, Austin Texas
When bootlegger and country music lover Kenneth Threadgill opened his Gulf filling station just north of the Austin city limits in 1933, the beer joint became an iconic nightspot for hippies, beatniks, and folkies.
Threadgills soon became a favorite for traveling musicians interested in grabbing a drink after their gigs. It was here that Janis Joplin developed the brassy style that would propel her to become the first female rock and roll superstar.
On New Years’ Eve 1981, Threadgill’s opened as a restaurant after being purchased by Eddie Wilson serving up southern-style American food. Threadgill’s has always been a hot spot for southern dishes and their chicken-fried steak is the best this author has ever eaten. Try our lookalike recipe and find out for yourself.
Recommended Side Dishes for World Famous Chicken Fried Steak
Country Style Mashed Potatoes
Slow Cooked String Beans with onion garlic and bacon.
Fried Okra and Biscuits
In The News
Restaurants close due to COVID 19 pandemic – Texas: Threadgill’s • Location: Austin, TX, read more here.
Healthy Eating and Wellness Resource.
World Famous Chicken Fried Steak
- 1 large bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 skillet heavy, cast iron recommended
- 1 cooling rack
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 6 cube steaks about 1 ½ pounds total
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic granules or garlic powder
- Lard or vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup beef broth
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs and 1 ½ cups evaporated milk. Soak steaks in the mixture for a few minutes.
- Combine the flour, pepper, salt, paprika, and garlic granules in a shallow bowl.
- Remove meat from egg mixture; reserve egg mixture. Add meat to flour mixture and turn to coat thoroughly.
- Dip steaks into egg mixture again, then put on a rack
- Lightly dip both sides of the steaks in the remaining flour mixture a second time.
- Set aside for a few minutes. Save the remaining flour for gravy.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy large skillet to reach the depth of 1/2 inch. Bring the skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add steaks to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes
- Turn steaks over. Cook for another 3 minutes. Transfer steaks to straining rack and drain over paper towels.
- Steak Gravy:
- Retain 2 to 3 tablespoons fat in the skillet. Place over medium heat
- Add 2 tablespoons reserved flour mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute, scraping up browned bits
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup evaporated milk, and broth. Cook, stirring until thickened
- Season as desired. Pour over steaks to serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as a courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
Please find out more about Texini, the leading Texas lifestyle brand defined by its celebration of the Lone Star State’s culture, heritage, and values.
Austin Texas barbecue barbeque bbq cities in texas cost of living in texas cost of living texas cost to live in texas famous in texas foods from Texas Foods in Texas google abandoned texas google texas county google texas news google texas roadhouse google texas weather leading texas lifestyle brand life in texas lifestyle brand living cost texas living in Texas living texas moving to texas San Antonio Texas Space X Tex-Mex Texas Texas barbecue Texas BBQ Texas Chili texas cost of living texas culture texas food Texas Hill Country Texas Life Texas Lifestyle Texas life style texas lifestyle brand Texas Lifestyle influencer texas live Texas living texas living cost Texini the leading Texas lifestyle brand texmex Tex Mex
Chicken fried steak is a Southern classic dish, consisting of a beef cutlet that has been breaded and fried. It is believed to have originated in Texas and is a fan favorite across the United States. According to many tourists and food critics, one of the best chicken fried steaks in the world originated at Threadgills in Austin, Texas.
Featured image credit – http://LeeMNichols / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)
Discover the top 10 Texas Rustic Christmas Ideas 2023! As the holiday season approaches, many of us are eager to transform our homes into festive havens. If you're looking for a warm and inviting...
Welcome to your ultimate guide to Texas Whitetail Season! Whether you are an experienced hunter or just starting out, this comprehensive guide has got you covered with all the tips, tricks, and...