I admit it, I am a burger person. Sometimes you just gotta have a big fat juicy burger. This ultimate juicy Tex Mex burger recipe is sure to satisfy your burger craving.
**Includes recommendations for making gluten-free Tex Mex Burgers.
Please find out more about Texini, the leading Texas lifestyle brand defined by its celebration of the Lone Star State’s culture, heritage, and values.Kay Keeton, Editor in Chief
Texas burger ingredients you will need to construct your Tex Mex Burger: split hamburger buns, avocado, romaine lettuce (or other leafy green lettuce), tomatoes, sliced red onion (or onion of your choice), fire-roasted peppers (your choice depending on heat factor), Worcestershire sauce, ground beef (recommended Angus beef), white American cheese slices, *spicy brown mustard (optional), real mayonnaise, ranch dip powder, and chipotle peppers with sauce, lightly cooked bacon, salt, and pepper.
Building a Better Burger
In general, I am good with just old-fashioned mustard, lettuce, pickle, and tomato hamburgers. But every now and then I crave these ultimate juicy, hit-the-spot, bacony, spicy burgers instead.
These are great prepared on the grill but I prefer cooking my burger in a heavy cast-iron skillet. Of course, for larger family get-togethers grilling is probably the best choice.
Angus beef patties topped with bacon and white American cheese served with thinly sliced tomatoes, onions, avocado slices, green lettuce, and a dollop of spicy ranch sauce on a split hamburger bun.
What you will need for the ultimate Tex Mex Burger: 8 slices bacon cooked to the light crispy stage, 1 ½ lb. ground Angus beef (80/20 lean to fat ratio) one onion, one avocado, one tomato, green lettuce, white American cheese, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, large hamburger buns, *spicy brown mustard (optional), real mayonnaise, ranch dip powder, and chipotle peppers with sauce.
You will need large buns, not those sissy dwarf buns. We are building a burger here folks. We are making these with just a hint of spice but if you prefer a stronger heat factor then you can roast jalapeno peppers or other peppers prior to making your burger in a hot cast-iron skillet just until the skin is blistered. Remove the seeds and place skin side down on hot preheated heavy cast-iron skillet roasting until slightly charred, and flip over roasting the other side.
*Optional is the spicy brown mustard and the roasted jalapeno pepper (or pepper of your choice) – one per burger. Gluten-free options ** GF hamburger buns, GF bacon, GF mayonnaise, GF mustard, GF ranch dressing powder, GF American cheese, GF Worcestershire sauce, GF black pepper, and GF chipotle sauce.
Most Important Step for Making Good Burgers
First, you will cook your bacon and peppers (if desired) and set them aside. The second step is the most important and just makes for a good burger no matter what variety you are making. It does not pay to skip this step of incorporating the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper thoroughly with the meat. Followed by forming your patties and refrigerating for ten or fifteen minutes before cooking. Remember your patties will be thicker once cooked so plan accordingly. Some people use a large jar lid to form their patties however, I like mine a little thinner (see tip).
You want the burger to hold together during cooking to hold the juices in. You can put a thumbprint in the center of the patty prior to cooking to keep it from swelling in the middle. Do not flatten with your spatula once you have started cooking as this will affect the juicy factor. Just make sure you have the raw meat pattie to the correct thickness before you start the cooking process. Flip only one time if possible for the juiciest results.
While your meat patties set in the refrigerator you will thinly slice your tomatoes, onion, and avocados. Place them on a large platter with your green lettuce leaves and any additional condiments you may want to serve on the side. The sauce preparation will be your next step.
Combine sauce ingredients mayonnaise, spicy brown mustard, ranch dressing powder, and chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, mixing well and chill until needed.
Ultimate Tex Mex Burger Tips and Variations
Tip: A sandwich baggie is great for forming your patty. You can smash it to the thickness you want. Put in refrigerator until ready to use. When ready to cook, open the baggie and place your hand palm down over the top of the patty. Flip the baggie over and let the patty fall into your hand. Slide out the patty and place in a hot skillet.
TO GO ALL THE WAY TEX MEX try this, it will impress any guests you may have as well as your family.
Variations: For a more southwestern-style burger replace white American Cheese with pepper jack and add a Hatch green chili.
Texas Legend, Sam Bass here.
Tex Mex Burger
- 1 skillet
- 8 slices bacon cooked to light crispy stage
- 1 ½ lbs ground angus beef (80/20 lean to fat ratio)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green lettuce leaves
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices white American cheese
- 4 large hamburger buns, split
- 4 jalepeno or peppers of choice, halved and seeded *Optional
Tex Mex Burger Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ packet ranch seasoning powder mix
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard *Optional
- 1 chipotle pepper, finely diced with 1 t. of the adobosauce
- If adding the *optional, fire roasted pepper, split peppers, remove seeds and roast on hot pre heated cast iron skillet util flesh is lightly charred. Flip peppers over and roast the other side. Set aside.
- Pre-cook halved bacon strips in a hot skillet until lightly browned and slightly crispy. Set aside.
- In large bowl combine angus ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Mix to combine well and divide into 4 raw, well-formed hamburger patties.
- Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- You can grill the beef patties but I prefer tocook them in a large hot cast iron skillet
- Pre heat skillet until slightly smokey and then cook patties over medium heat in skillet for approximately 4 – 5 minutes until browned andcooked through.
- For extra spice you can add one seeded, split, fire roasted jalapeno pepper to each burger.
Tex Mex Burger Sauce
- Mix the mayonnaise, ranch dressing powder, brownmustard and chipotle pepper with adobo sauce in a small bowl.
- Cover and place in fridge until ready to use.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as a courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
If you are making Gluten Free burgers we have these suggestions for GF selections.
- La Costena Chipotles Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning, salad dressing & recipe mix packet
- Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
- Sir Kensington’s Spicy Brown Mustard
- Udis Classic Hamburger Buns
- Farmland Hickory Smoked Bacon
- Boar’s Head Cheese
- McCormick Pure Ground Black
Austin Texas barbecue barbeque bbq cities in texas cost of living in texas cost of living texas cost to live in texas famous in texas foods from Texas Foods in Texas google abandoned texas google texas county google texas news google texas roadhouse google texas weather leading texas lifestyle brand life in texas lifestyle brand living cost texas living in Texas living texas moving to texas San Antonio Texas Space X Tex-Mex Texas Texas barbecue Texas BBQ Texas Chili texas cost of living texas culture texas food Texas Hill Country Texas Life Texas Lifestyle Texas life style texas lifestyle brand Texas Lifestyle influencer texas live Texas living texas living cost Texini the leading Texas lifestyle brand texmex Tex Mex
A Tex Mex burger is the American version of a Mexican burger and is made with Angus beef, bacon, spicy chipotle mayonnaise blend, white cheese, avocado, onion, and fire-roasted peppers, with all the fixins’ of your choice on a bun.
Discover the top 10 Texas Rustic Christmas Ideas 2023! As the holiday season approaches, many of us are eager to transform our homes into festive havens. If you're looking for a warm and inviting...
Welcome to your ultimate guide to Texas Whitetail Season! Whether you are an experienced hunter or just starting out, this comprehensive guide has got you covered with all the tips, tricks, and...